What is site area?
Site area refers to the chargeable area of your premises. It comprises the total area of your site (whether or not the surface is permeable). However, it excludes any permanently grassed, cultivated or landscaped areas where no surface water or ground water drains either directly or indirectly to a public sewer.
What is surface water and highways drainage?
Part of your water bill pays for taking away the rainwater that falls onto your premises, as well as public roads and pavements. This service is shown on your bill as ‘surface water and highway drainage’. The size of your chargeable area determines how much you pay for your surface water drainage and highway drainage services.
- Surface water is rainfall which falls onto premises and flows directly or indirectly into the public drainage system.
- The charge covers the cost to remove and process the rain water which falls onto your premises and flows into public sewers.
- The amount you’re charged is based on the chargeable area (square metre (m2)) of your premises if you have a water meter, or on the charging value of you premises if you don’t have a water meter.
- Highways drainage is water that drains from roads and footpaths into public sewers.
- The charge covers the costs of removing water that drains from roads and footpaths into public sewers and maintaining the public highways.
How are the charges set?
- The amount you’re charged is based on the chargeable area of your premises per square metre (m2) if you have a water meter, or on the charging value of your premises if you don’t have water meter
Surface water and highways drainage charges are applicable to all customers who have a connection to the public sewer.
Once your total chargeable area has been calculated, your premises will be placed in a particular site area charging band, which determines your bill. Find more information
about how we calculate your site area charging band.
Can my charges be reduced?
There are a number of options
worth considering to help reduce your wastewater charges.
For eligible customers, we offer a concessionary scheme
to certain groups of customers which may mean your charges are capped at a set rate.
To discuss any aspect of site area charging in more detail, get in touch using our contact form, or call us on 0345 072 6075.